One of the key things we are learning about in our degree in Interior Design, is the huge importance of making Interior Design and Architecture as eco friendly and sustainable as possible, as this not only benefits our environment, but also our own health and well being. I think the main thing people tend to forget is that contrary to popular belief- eco friendly design can be luxurious and stylish too!
As designers, we have a responsibility to help our clients make informed choices about the products they buy, as well as leading by example and showing that eco friendly products and designs can be beautiful and inspirational as well as ethical.
Key things to think about when purchasing products:
- Carbon footprint- Was the product made locally or has it been shipped over?
- Recyclable- At the end of its life will it be able to be recycled? Or will it end up in landfill?
- Material- Is the material used from a sustainable source?
- Locally made- Products made locally support the economy as well as the designers who make them.
- Toxins- Some paints and glues contain dangerous toxins that are released for years afterwards, this can be easily avoided buy only using eco friendly paints, wallpapers and glues.
- Manufacturer- Do the manufacturer's use eco friendly process's to make the products? Do they recycle and do everything possible to minimise their carbon footprint?
- Re-used/recycled- Antiques are a perfect example of products that are re-used and loved again and again, they are often very well made which has resulted in them lasting so long! Items such as furniture can also be restored/reupholstered rather than thrown away for a newer product.
These are a couple of my favourite UK Designers and manufacturers. Not only are the designs amazing, but as the companies use eco-friendly processes and source locally, it makes them that little bit more special. This is NOT a sponsored post- I just think they are great and I want to share them with you!
ECOS ORGANIC PAINTS
ECOS are an affordable water based paint company who have a huge range of colours, all of which are all made in the UK. The paints are odourless, solvent free, and 100% non toxic, which also makes them safe for use in children's rooms! The products are not tested on animals which is another huge bonus.
Little Greene -Paint and Paper 1773-
Little Greene, design and make beautiful wallpaper and paint here in the UK. Their paints are non-toxic, and suitable for use in children's rooms, as well as on children's toys and furniture, as they do not omit any harmful toxins. I particularly love their wallpapers, as the designs are timeless and extremely high quality. All of the paper used in Little Greene wallpapers comes from FSC or PEFC certificated sustainable forests which means that for every tree used another four are planted.
"All our paints and wallpapers are manufactured in the UK and we actively source from suppliers who can match our commitment to local industries. We're dedicated to minimising pollution, energy consumption and distribution overheads whilst supporting the local business community."- Little Greene
Child Friendly Paint- Image via Little Greene
Bayham Abbey- Celestial by Little Greene
Cute Caravan- Image via Little Greene
So that's all for now, I am constantly on the lookout for other UK based designers and manufacturers, so I would love to know if anyone has any recommendations!
Have a great day everyone!!