Once upon a time, I saw a BEAUTIFUL white feather lampshade, but being a poor student I had to come to terms with the fact that I couldn’t afford to spend £150 on a feather lampshade… So what did I do? Well, I made it myself! And here’s how:
You will need:
1 x 14inch Paper lampshade
5 x Packs of 50 soft white feathers- I recommend these ones from Amazon which were about £4 per pack, and really good quality.
Total Cost= £36.90 (although the glue gun is something you will use again)
- Fully open the paper shade, and insert the metal support to keep it tight.
- Start at bottom of the lampshade, put 5 blobs of hot glue- about 2cm apart- around the ring at the bottom, and place a feather base first on to each blob, so the fluffy part faces down. Continue this all the way around the circle. This will cover the ugly wire at the bottom of the shade.
- Work your way around the shade in circles, layering the feathers so that the fluffy part of the second layer covers the top of the first layer, ensuring that by then end, only the nice fluffy bits are on show.
- Continue gluing the feathers all the way to top. Don’t worry if you can see the base of the feathers on the top row, once the feather lampshade is in place on your light fitting you won’t be able to see the top!
- Make sure the feathers are only touching the outside of the shade (for fire safety)
- Attach your lovely new lampshade to the light fitting, sit down and have a cup of tea whilst admiring your handywork, yay!
- Hoover, as there will be feathers everywhere, and you will continue to find them weeks later.
And look how beautiful it is! It gives a lovely soft diffused glow, perfect for the living room or bedroom. At the moment I have it over our coffee table/TV area, as this is where we normally relax in the evenings, it looks great!
So that’s it! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make a white feather lampshade. Please let me know if you have any questions, I would love to hear from you!
***Update!! If you don’t want to make one yourself I just found a really nice Feather Lampshade on amazon ***
Love this lampshade, such a simple but effective idea! 🙂
Thanks Megan! It was really easy to do, and much better than paying for a new one from the shop!
Hi! Love your lamp. I'll try to do it myself, with your blogpost as my guide :).